Saturday, August 07, 2010

Im kinda pissed today/tonight

I recently discovered that Im able to see Sophias medical chart online, yay! So I sit down and start looking through her stats when I notice there's a file for me! Whoa, lets see what they put in my file. I was only with this doc for 5 weeks prenatally and then had 1 appt at 6 weeks post.


...Pregnancy Complicated By Fetal Cardiovascular Abnormality,(yup) Uterine Size Date Discrepancy, (yes, totally huge) Obesity Complicating Pregnancy, (um WHAT?! Excuse me?!) and finally the cherry on top, History Of Gestational Diabetes.(that ones the best)

I feel EXTREMELY discriminated against because Im fat. I dont mind saying that Im fat and other people saying that Im fat but when I see something that blatantly LIES about me just because Im fat and its the assumption, I get freaking mad!

Just want to share with you a couple facts about the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy.

-I knew I was going to have a baby w a heart defect who would need open heart surgery, I was under MAJOR stress from all those situations.
-I rode my bike 2 miles to the docs office for these visits and then power walked the halls, I felt great. Heres my blood pressure stats for the last 5 weeks (plus the 6 wk follow up) Out of control, huh?
4/1/2009 114 69
4/10/2009 110 80
4/17/2009 117 74
4/24/2009 120 70
5/1/2009 125 82
5/3/2009 140 82
5/5/2009 120 71
6/25/2009 115 61

-I had only gained 14 lbs my whole pregnancy, 2 being in the last 5 weeks.
-I lost 33lbs from water weight after I had Sophia (like in 24 hrs), her heart defect made her unable to process water.
-I was pushed into taking the glucose test 3 weeks before my due date to test for gestational diabetes (with no symptoms and my weight, not the pregnancy gain, being the only "marker") and was diagnosed with GD after my sugars were recorded a smidge above the cutoff (like I was at 142 and the cutoff was 140) on 2 of the 4 blood draws. I was told that if I cant control it, Id have to shoot myself with insulin. I refused the insulin and came back in a few days with my sugars "under control" with diet. (cutting out 1 of my 3 daily desserts) This was THREE WEEKS before my due date, is that considered a "history" of gd?

-I was told that because of my size, I wouldnt be able to push out a baby. Oh, I got her out and she was 11.5 lbs!

I am forever labeled as History of Gestational Diabetes. I am forever labeled as a high-risk pregnancy BECAUSE of obesity, NOT because I had a baby with a heart defect in me. Some of my ob/gyn docs even blamed the large baby on the "uncontrolled sugars" and the extra weight even after the cardiovascular docs said it was her heart that did it.

Im thinking of contesting my record. I know it sounds stupid but I dont want me(and other fellow fatties) to be forever labeled as unfit baby-makers/havers! I am really fortunate to be surrounded by doctors and nurses NOW that see past my size and look at real medical data, rather than basing my health on personal(or learned) assumptions. I really regret not trusting my instinct and finding a doc that would take care of Pregnant Lindsay-The Scared Mom With High Hopes, instead of Lindsay- The Fat Pregnant Woman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS RIDICULIOUS!!!!! I hate the way many docs have to have some "medical" label for everything. It couldn't be that your baby just happened to have a heart defect, no no no, there HAS to be a medical reason for it, and well since I can't find a valid one, let's just chalk it up to the mom's fault. AND anyone over a model size these days is considered obese by the stupid docs unrealistic charts. ((((HUGS LIndsay))) You fight it if you feel you really need to, but no matter what stay true to the TRUTH of what you know! <3 you!

Erin said...

You do what you feel like you have to in order to make peace with it. But know that who you are is NOT contingent on what that file says. And any new doc that meets you will immediately be able to figure that out!

Anonymous said...

just checkin up on you... Where are you??? and you say I have to keep my blog updated. I'm gonna email you tomorrow <3 ya!